Everything you need to know about Jumpstart Foundry’s summer accelerator.
Jumpstart Foundry (JSF) is a 14-week, mentor-driven business acceleration program culminating in the launch of successful startups, showcased at Investor Day. JSF has been fast-tracking the growth of tech-oriented startup businesses since 2010.
65% of our alumni are still in business — either bootstrapping operations (15%) or having raised follow-on capital (50%) averaging $800,000 per equity-financed graduate. The median follow-on round is $500,000. The maximum is $2.2M with total follow-on financing of just over $8M in three years.
JSF has experienced tremendous growth, becoming the leading business accelerator in the Southeast as it enters its 4th year. We’ve graduated 30 companies and we have over 100 carefully vetted mentors.
New in Spring 2013: JSF has opened a Silicon Valley office where alumni companies will receive expense-paid office space and apartments while building their funding and strategic networks. Only JSF alumni companies will have access to this substantial benefit. Full release.
Your company will benefit from personalized program and mentor attention over 14-weeks during which your team will work 12-15 hours/day for six days per week totalling 18 months of accelerated business progress in approximately three months.
- Week 1: Who is the Customer, and why do they need you?
- Week 2: Rapid Market Validation and Prototyping (SquaredCircle)
- Week 3: Roadmap for Customer Development
- Week 4: Being Data Driven – Know your business drivers, Stay Honest and Transparent
- Week 5: Building the A-Team – Key Roles, Advisory Boards, Mentors
- Week 6: The Customer’s Solution – Product Vision and Design Focus
- Week 7: Competition (Analysis / Five Forces) / Differentiation (Being Novel) / IP
- Week 8: Getting to the Market – Distribution, Message, Audience
- Week 9: Pricing and Packaging
- Week 10: Customer Pilots – Securing Commitments to Use / Purchase
- Week 11: Projecting Sales – Building a Pipeline
- Week 12: The Financial and Operational Plan – Assumptions, Cash Flow, P&L
- Week 13: The Art and Science Of Pitching, Angel Financing and Term Sheets
- Week 14: Refining the Message & Launch Plan
Over 100 mentors, personally invited and selected by JSF directors, start the program. Within several weeks JSF staff connect mentors with the right skills and experience with each of the startups who choose over the course of the first half of the program which mentors will become equity mentors. Equity mentors (usually 2-4 per company) may receive up to 4% of the company’s equity, which guarantees long-term relationships and mentoring even after the program ends.
62% currently own a business
38% plan to hire 5+
37% hold an
JSF mentors don’t just “float” in, out, and around our cohort. Mentor involvement is neither random nor haphazard. JSF staff work personally with each company to match the right mentors with the right experience, network and advice to maximize business advancement during and after the program.
“Jumpstart was an incredibly valuable experience for me. As an engineer by trade, immersing myself in the business world and getting live feedback from veteran entrepreneurs is what made [my company] DAIO possible. Without it my company just wouldn’t exist today.
The Nashville tech community has really found itself in the past few years. We’ve got user groups, hackathons, conferences and meetups going on every week. It’s not just music and cowboys anymore.”
- Ben Stucki, Co-founder & CEO at DAIO and JSF 2011 alumus