JSF47: Interview with LiveSchools’ Matthew Rubinstein
- Matt Rubinstein is Founder and CEO of LiveSchool.
- LiveSchool provides a platform for teachers to track and improve school culture, specifically student behavior.
- “When teachers and schools can get control of student’s behavior and create a great positive learning environment, scores go up, kids are happier, teachers stay in the profession longer, and schools are more successful.”
- Matt was a teacher at a charter school in Nashville. He also managed the data system at the school. They used the “pay check” system where students got rewarded for good behavior, but it was too much work for the teachers. This experience inspired LiveSchool.
- In middle school Matt coded a program for people to dial in (Voice XML) and enter a user ID to make unlimited long distance calls.
- LiveSchool has been around for two years. First year he and his brother co-founded. They recently raised a Series A Round, so the second year has been about growth.
- The biggest challenge was balancing raising capital and building the business. The only way is to have an awesome team in place.
- He found his employees through mutual friends in Nashville. He also used Craigslist to find talent.
- Constantly keeping your ear to the ground is key to finding great employees.
- One thing he wishes he had done better is to get a good securities lawyer sooner.
- Matt recommends you read Gary Blank’s The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Products that Win.
- Matt is a self-proclaimed John Dewey nerd. Any entrepreneurs in the ed tech space should read Experience And Education.
- “I really don’t put stock in the notion that teachers will be replaced by algorithms.”
- “The role of technology has always been and will always be to enhance what people can do. The really exciting disruptive technologies are going to be ones that help teachers get new access to information and tools to apply their creativity and energy in new ways.”
- Contact Matt @lsimatt or email matt at liveschoolinc dot com (don’t forget to recommend some blogs for him.)
Are you a proven founder or co-founder? We would love to speak with you about being a guest on the show. Please email Dave at dave @ jumpstartfoundry dot com for details. Thanks.
Enjoy the show? Please subscribe to our new podcast feed in iTunes, we love your ratings too. You can also subscribe using Stitcher. Jumpstart theme song “DLDN Instrumental (ft. Onlymeith, Mellotroniac)” by: St. Paul from ccMixter.