Jumpstart Episode 25: Gavin Ivester
- Gavin Ivester, Partner at Flo Thinkery
- Flo Thinkery build strategies for companies. They are a group of people who want to do cool stuff with smart people, or smart stuff with cool people. Either way is a win!
- Founded by Mark Montgomery (interview)
- 5 core people at Flo + 20 – 25 advisors
- In 1992 Gavin had worked in his first job for 11 years, he decided he didn’t want to be a lifer at one company
- Started an industrial design company in Palo Alto, CA
- Gavin started at Apple at 18 years of age on the loading dock
- Apple’s industrial team coached him and taught him how to get a position in ID
- Tony Guido of Frog Designs gave him guidance about where to go to school and how to build his portfolio
- On starting a business… Know why you’re doing it. Know in what way you will kick ass harder than anybody ever has. In what way are you going to do that?
- Don’t get into business to do something 2% better than the other guy, get into business because you want to change the world.
- Gavin recommends the book From Good to Great
- Don’t worry so much about the big idea
- Have adaptable, smart people who like each other
- Contact Gavin at FindYourFlo.com
Posted on May 2, 2012